Traveler Safety in Mexico
Traveler Safety - Visiting Los Cabos, Mexico
At Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, our highest priority is always the safety and wellbeing of our guests. For this reason, we feel it is important to put you at ease in your decision to travel to Los Cabos, Mexico.
You have likely heard stories in the media of cartel activity in Mexico or seen travel warnings issued by the U.S. and Mexican governments. It's only natural that you would ask, "Is it safe to visit Los Cabos?"
The answer: Absolutely!
Understanding the Situation in Mexico
While cartel violence does exist in Mexico, it is most prevalent along the U.S./Mexico border in cities such as Tijuana, Nogales and Juarez. Meanwhile, our resort in Los Cabos is located on the southern tip of Baja California Sur, over 1000 miles from the border. We are also separated from mainland Mexico by the Sea of Cortés. You can see on this map that Los Cabos is well-removed and isolated from all areas of concern. (click the map to see a larger version)
It's also important to understand that all incidents of violence are between rival drug cartels and the Mexico police force. Tourists have not been targeted. Mexico relies on its vital tourism industry, and the government takes the safety of tourists very seriously.
Is it safe to take the bus from Hilton Los Cabos?
Yes! The public bus which runs by Hilton Los Cabos and serves both Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo is absolutely safe to ride and is a great way to save on the cost of renting a car or using a taxi. In fact, many guests have found that the bus is a terrific local experience they can enjoy on their stay.
Statistics, Statements and Testimonials
Gloria Guevara, Secretary of Tourism Mexico, has offered the following statements:
- Los Cabos, Pto. Vallarta, Ixtapa, Morelia, Veracruz, Merida, Huatulco, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen and Cancún are listed as "PRESUMED SAFE DESTINATIONS"
- 60% of American visit Los Cabos, Riviera Maya, Cancún and Cozumel
- Mexico leads all foreign nations in average American tourism
- 14% of all travelers who go abroad visit Mexico
G20 in Los Cabos
- June 2012, Los Cabos was honored to host the G20 and B20 Economic Summits as part of the first ever G20 Mexico. This annual meeting of the world's 20 largest economies was lead by Mexican President Felipe Caledrón and was attended by world leaders including President of the United States Barack Obama. The G20 Summit was held at the newly constructed Los Cabos Convention Center.
- President Calderón hailed the G20 Mexico as a resounding success and issued the official recap of all the important agreements and decisions struck during the event. Read the Official Statement.
- Hilton Los Cabos was honored to be the host hotel of the B20 Business Summit as well as the choice hotel for numerous dignitaries visiting Los Cabos for both summits.
Several individuals have released statements affirming the safety of traveling to Los Cabos:
- Marcos Alberto Covarrubias Villaseñor, Governor of Baja California Sur, drafted a personal letter confirming his belief and commitment to the safety of Los Cabos, read more
- The Los Cabos Convention and Visitors Bureau released a detailed Q&A addressing many common questions about traveling to Los Cabos.
- Our Managing Director, Mr. Tim Booth, drafted a personal letter to potential guests, read more
- Escapes Magazine published an article attesting to the safety of traveling to the Baja, printed in English and Spanish, read more
- The Director of Los Cabos Tourism Board, Mr. Eduardo Segura Vehovec, drafted a personal letter to potential guests, read more
- Many visitors have created video testimonials discussing the safety of Los Cabos, watch them here
And most importantly, our guests will tell you that you can travel to Hilton Los Cabos in confidence:
- Over 2149+ reviews on TripAdvisor without a single comment regarding safety concerns
- A guest was kind enough to leave a video testimonial during his stay, see the video
As you can see, the evidence that Los Cabos is a safe destination for your group is overwhelming. We hope to treat you and your group to the endless luxury and impeccable service of the Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort soon.
Return to the Home Page >>
Updated January 9, 2014
US Department of State
Baja California Sur: Cabo San Lucas and La Paz are major cities/travel destinations in the state of Southern Baja California - No advisory is in effect. Read More >>